Wednesday, April 1, 2009

WE ARE SO BLESSED!!

Have you ever felt guilty for something that you knew you had no control over and really had nothing to do with you. That is exactly how I have felt this week. There are two things involved in those feelings.

First of all is Stellan, the little 4 month that I posted about earlier this week. He is still in very serious condition. If you want details use the link I posted and read all about it. But I will say that he had to have a transfusion this morning to try to saves his life. He is just very sick.

Secondly, our little guy has had the stomach bug since last Thursday. I mean he was really sick- had the whole nine yards. It was a miserable weekend. At one point as I was praying for him to get better because of course we don't like to see them suffer I thought of Stellan. You know, we are just so ungrateful for what we have. What is a little stomach bug in light of what this family is going through.

Yes, I know, a stomach bug not treated right can cause dehydration and lots of problems, but really we aren't going to let that happen. His illness was just a bump in the road compared to what so many others are going through. I just had to stop and thank God for His blessings.

We could have been going through some of those problems ourselves. In May of last year Breanna was diagnosed with a heart condition that would require open heart surgery. This condition was found while checking her for a virus. Thank God for that virus because we were told if her problem was not taken care of while she was young she would have had major problems as she got older and could have developed a condition with a life expectancy of 25 - 30 years. She had surgery in August and is a different little girl. What we thought was just being laid back was actually lack of oxygen. We are blessed.

My nephew's son, Devin, had major heart defects at birth and had to have 3 major heart surgeries before he was 3 years old. If you were to see him now you would not know there was anything wrong with him. We are blessed.

Between my siblings and I we have 16 children and 12 grandchildren. All of them are relatively healthy at this time. (We call Devin and Breanna healthy because their problems were fixed and they are both doing great.) We are blessed beyond measure.

Do I think it is wrong to pray for a child with a stomach virus? No I don't, but this week has really made me stop and count my blessing. So next time I will pray, but with a new prospective on it. I will also thank God for ONLY a stomach virus and remember to ALSO pray for those less fortunate then we because it could be any of us. We are not immune just blessed at this time.

No comments: