Monday, April 20, 2009

NEW YORK CITY!!

I guess you could say "Sherry finally got out of her comfort zone." My daughters and son-in-law went to New York City back in the fall while on a weekend with George's brother in Philly. They loved it and Courtney came home saying we were all going when she had spring break. I have always said I wanted to see the Statue of Liberty, but did not want to go to NYC to see it. But plans proceeded and last Thursday morning I found myself on my way to New York City with Charlie, Carolyn and George, and Court and Jay'von.

We actually stayed in Manhattan right next to the United Nation and across the street from the Trump World Tower. It was an experience I will never forget. I'm not sure if I will do it again, but have to admit I am glad I went.

I had said I would not ride a subway and did not want to do the Empire State building and I did both. We used every means of transportation available (subway, taxi, city bus, and open top tour bus) except a train.

It is amazing to see and realize that what you see in movies is how these people live. The tour guide said that they stop on the way home and buy what they need for the evening meal and breakfast the next day. Then do the same tomorrow because they don't have supermarkets, just little shops. There is the bakery, the green grocer, the meat market, etc. There is only one supermarket on the island because with using public transportation you don't want to stock up on a weeks worth of groceries at a time. You couldn't get them home. It is almost like being in another world. We were sitting in a Pizza shop eating lunch by a window and I saw many people go by carrying brown paper shopping bags full of long loaves of bread. These loaves weren't wrapped in plastic and sealed with a twist tie. They were just stuck in the bag. One guy was eating on a piece that he had broken off. It was in the neighborhood of this picture.



This lady was about 4 stories up, just looking out the window at the people on the street. It just looked like something you would see in an old movie.

We did find that bakery and try some of their scones and brownies. I wanted a loaf of fresh bread, but by the time I would have gotten it home it would not have been fresh and probably would have been crushed.

This was in Greenwich Village. It is just like you would imagine. A quaint little village with row houses and those little shops I mentioned above. Courtney mentioned wanting to go to Magnolia bakery. (I guess there is something on a TV show about buying cupcakes there). We found the bakery, but also found a line around the building about 1/2 a block long. (I did say these were "little" shops) There could only be maybe 8 people in there at once and then you could hardly move around. There was a man at the door letting people in as others came out. We all bought our favorite things there. Courtney did get her cupcakes and said they were worth the wait.

We spent quite a little time in Greenwich Village. It is so unique. It is also home of John's Pizza, the place everyone told us to go for New York Pizza. Everyone loved it except Charlie. He is a deep dish man and New York Pizza is thin crust.




Carolyn, George and Courtney in front of John's Pizza in Greenwich Village.



I could go on and on about all we did, but I am not writing a book. I'll just post a few pictures of us this time and maybe next time I'll do our hotel and some of the buildings.



This is Carolyn, George, Court and Jay'v on the steps of the largest Post office in the US.




Jay'von setting on the steps looking like the little man that he is.




Carolyn and George on the observation deck of the Empire State Building.





Charlie and I on Times Square.






These are on the tour bus. They have an open top. I wasn't sure if I wanted to try it but they go pretty slow and you really could see the city well.




This one is the kids with the statue of Liberty in the background. We did not go to the island because of a 3-4 hour wait. Our time was limited.

I think I have bored you enough for now. I hope you enjoyed my little tour as much as I enjoyed giving it.

Until next time.

No comments: