Saturday, January 3, 2009

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Yesterday would have been my father-in-law's 92 birthday.

God called him home to heaven on March 30, 2007. That was one of the saddest and happiest days of our life. The saddest because we miss him so much. His humor, wisdom and spirit were so great and will never be replaced.

It was one of the happiest days because we know where he is. He had strived for amost 50 years to make it to heaven, and now he's there. He also is with all his friends and family that went on before him. So many times he would want me to read scripture about heaven and we would talk about how wonderful it would be. I just heard yesterday that one of his friends had passed away and in my mind I started to picture what might be going on in heaven right now. I'm sure they are rejoicing and praising God that another saint made it home.

His main interest in life was missions and his books. He loved to pass out tracts and write letters to missionaries. Just the other day while sorting out more of his stuff I found a whole box of tracts. He always carried them in his coat pockets to give out to anyone he met. There were some in his suit that he was burried in. We just left them there. He never went anywhere without them. (I know he won 't need them in heaven, but I just couldn't take them out.) God help us all to be so faithful.

He also loved missions. He had a list of missionaries he supported and wrote to every month. What a heritage. We lack so much living up to his example. If God provides I intend to pick up some of that vision.

This has gotten much longer then I intended, but how can you condense such a great life into just a few sentences.

Happy Birthday in Heaven, Dad! We all miss you so much. Thanks for living such a Godly example before us.

1 comment:

MK said...

Sherry,
Welcome to blogger-dom. I hope to see more of you.
:)
MK