Monday, January 28, 2013

Changes....and Baked Oatmeal

Wow! I haven't posted in over a year and thought I was locked out of my own blog. I couldn't find it. There have been so many changes in Blogger that I was momentarily lost. But....I'm back and more changes are on the way. I'm changing my format from a little mom and pop :) blog about the family to something more interesting to all of us (not that my family isn't interesting, but you all know what I mean...all the grandma stuff can get old I guess). My focus is going to be more food related. I love to cook and especially bake and get lots of requests for recipes. I am always flattered and give them the recipe. So I decided that this might be a better way to do it.  I'm going to blog about some of the recipes I love to make and hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoy making them.

Along with this will be some changes in my blog itself. Those are under construction and will come a little later but since I had a request for a recipe I decided to get started.

The recipe I will give you today is one that my family has enjoyed for many years. It does have a background. Some recipes I just get from a cookbook, blog, magazine or such, but some are special in that they are ones I requested from someone. In April, 1995 we had the first Woman of Worth Retreat in Ohio. It was at a little rustic Mennonite camp ground near Wooster called Camp Luz.  Camp Luz was special. It was kind of small and primitive compared to what we now have (think Heartland and Beulah Beach). Even with that thought I have very special memories of the years at Camp Luz. The group was more intimate because the size was smaller. If you all remember we even had to rinse our own dishes. But I have such good memories of those years. Pranks pulled on each other that everyone was involved in because of the size of the group. Suitcases emptied and items scattered all over the building, underclothes removed and placed in the freezer...etc. Good, clean, fun. God's presence felt in such a special way. Remember the year the guys came and set up the stuff for taping the sessions and when it was done they were all blank. Obviously we weren't supposed to have those recorded. Special times.

Along with that fun was good, old fashioned food. The first morning they served something none of us were familiar with. As a matter of fact, we had to ask what it was. It was Baked Oatmeal, served with vanilla yogurt and fresh fruit. I have to say I was not sure about this but soon realized something so plain was absolutely fabulous. I asked them if they would be willing to share the recipe. I had bought an Amish cookbook from a shop on the way there the day  before and promptly wrote the shared recipe in the front cover. I still use that same recipe today. I hope you all love it as well as my family has.

This is my go to recipe when we have company. I usually serve Baked Oatmeal and Breakfast Casserole. But that's for another day, if you like.






Baked Oatmeal

Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray.

Mix thoroughly:

2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
1/2 cup oil (can use 1/4 cup oil, 1/4 cup applesauce)
3/4 cups brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp vanilla
cinnamon to taste

Stir in:

3 cups quick oats

Put in pan. Bake at 350 for 20 - 25 minutes til set and brown around the edges. Don't let it get to dry.

My family prefers it served with cooked apples and whipped cream. I have also used chunky applesauce. Leftovers (if there are any) are even good heated and served with milk.

**To really lighten the recipe I have used skim milk and replaced the oil totally with applesauce with good success. It gives a little different texture and I don't do this for company but it's still good.





I hope you enjoy it. Please leave me a comment and let me know what you think. Thanks!







No comments: