Monday, June 29, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GEORGE!


Carolyn and George with his cake from Coldstone


Today is my son-in-law Nideep George Cheriyan's birthday.


This post is a little harder to write since I have only known George (Nid to his family) for a few years but here goes.

George's parents are Indian but he grew up in the country of Bahrain. It is an English speaking island country in the Persian Gulf. I think I have that right. George, you will have to correct me if I am wrong. He came to the states about 6 years ago to go to WVU. He graduated in Dec of 2007 with a computer engineering degree.

Being around George has taught me a lot. I tend to live in my little box called life in the USA and don't really venture out much. I'm not saying we all need to travel to a foreign country but we are a country that is now made up of many different cultures so we need to accept that and learn from others. He probably gets tired of us constantly asking questions about his country, "Do you do this....do you have that...?" i think the funniest one was actually asked by Carolyn at Christmas while they were helping put up my tree. She asked him if they put up a real or artificial tree. He so sweetly said, "Honey, we live in the desert, there are no evergreen trees." It was hilarious. He is very understanding and never seems to get tired of it or upset with us.

George seems kind of quiet at first but has a great sense of humor and he is wonderful with the kids. C.J. and Breanna would rather be at Carolyn and George's house then mine. About the first thing they ask when they come in the door is "Are Care Care and George home?" C.J. along with Jay'v think George is their own person playmate, and he doesn't seem to mind. I'm sure if he did they wouldn't feel like that.

George likes sports, but doesn't care for football. (Good for you, George) Soccer is his passion. (His grooms cake was a soccer ball). I've never really watched a soccer game but I don't think it is 300# guys running into each other trying to knock each other down and give a concussion. All over a little pig skin! That right there would make me a soccer fan instead of football. I know there are other sports he likes, but since I am not a sports fan I'm sure to get them wrong, so I won't go there. I will probably hear I should have left well enough alone anyway.

So now you know a little bit about George.

Happy Birthday George. We are so glad you are now part of our family.




Jay'von was asleep when we had George's birthday cake yesterday. Carolyn wanted him to help George blow out candles so she put 2 in a cupcake. This was really funny, he was fascinated with the flames. I think he was still half asleep. He did eventually blow them out.

No comments: